I’ve got about 4500 feet cut as of today. Yesterday I rerouted what I had laid out last weekend. It seemed way to straight so I put big loop in it. I also cleared out around the area for the new skinny. I knocked out a couple of hundred feet. I bough a new hand saw that is razor sharp. It makes light work of stuff to big to lop or to high to chop. I also bought a new leaf rake for $5. It works great also. I ran out of trail to cut due to a flag shortage so I went home after 4 hours. I saw four deer.
Today I got in another 3 hours. I stopped by the store and bought more flags so I could get a lot done today. I flagged to 2142, I think, because the gps wasn’t matching with the flagging. It probably has something to do with all the rerouting I’ve had to do. I followed the gps as best I could but I’ll probably have to go back and reflag some areas. I didn’t get 100 feet with the flags before I ran into a 3′ rattlesnake. He was about two steps in front of me just relaxing in the sun. He was a good looking snake with lots of well defined markings and about a dozen rattles on his tail. I watched him for a minute to see if he would move on. He didn’t so I skirted the trail around him. Needless to say every step I took after that was looked over pretty well. I flagged to until I ran out of flags which took me across an old gully so I will probably have to work around that somehow.
I saw tire tracks on the new trail so maybe it will get some use. I won’t be back out for 2 weeks.